Which students can apply?
To be eligible to apply for the scheme, students must:
- be in the first year of an Advanced or Higher, vocational or academic STEM course (year 12).
- have 5 GCSEs at grade B or above, including Maths, English and a science.
- be studying at a UK school or college
- be available for four consecutive weeks during the school summer holiday period.
Why choose a Nuffield Research Placement?
I really enjoyed my Nuffield Placement. It was a great experience to be working alongside professional scientists, and although my project was challenging it didn't feel like work because I enjoyed it so much!
- Lara, Brighton and Hove 6th Form College (BHASVIC)
“The three students who were awarded the Nuffield placements last year have all got offers for their universties…all 3 of them wrote a lot about their placements in their statements…All of these students benefitted 100% from their experience on their placements.” Emma Parsons, Teacher, Ark William Parker Academy.
These placements offer many benefits when compared to a regular work experience scheme:
- Students work on a specific project, which is well defined from the start - not just making teas and coffees or doing the filing!
- Projects make a genuine contribution to the work of the host organisation. The work students do will be valued and make a real impact.
- Students can apply for a Gold CREST Award, the only STEM scheme to be accredited by UCAS.
- The project report and accompanying scientific poster that is produced are fantastic pieces for the student's portfolio.
- Students are invited to regional celebration events - a good news story for the students, placement provider and the school.
For students studying at a state-maintained school or college the local coordinator (STEM Sussex) will help match them with a project provider. Students can boost their chances at getting a placement by arranging their own with the help of teachers and local companies.
We make sure no-one is excluded on a financial basis by covering travel costs for all students, as long as their placement is within the same county as their school. We also offer an additional bursary to students receiving free school meals, with a total household income below £30,000, or living in local authority care.
Download a student leaflet and promotional poster for display in your school or college.
How to apply:
Each year, applications open in November and close 13th March (exact deadlines can be found on the Nuffield Research Placements website), by students who are currently in the first year of an advanced or higher STEM course (year 12).
Applications are now OPEN!
Year 12 students complete an individual application with a personal statement and a reference from their teacher. Places on the scheme are in high demand, so applications should be carefully written to show the student's enthusiasm and dedication in order to give the best chance of success.
After applications close, students will be selected by a panel for 'provisional' places and informed in Early/Mid April - placements will then be sought and allocated to students according to location and their main interests.
For more information visit www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-research-placements
For any queries or to be alerted when applications open please email email@example.com
Eleanor, The College of Richard Collyer
“Go for it! If you get onto the scheme it’s such a fantastic opportunity and invaluable experience – so make the most of it and your chance to apply!”
Andrew (Peter Symonds College) and Maciej (Bay House School)
“I became immersed in the project and I learnt a lot about autonomy and engineering.”
Charlotte, St Anne's Catholic School
“The placement was the best possible thing I could have done with my summer holiday.”
Ben, The Weald School
“I’ve just finished my UCAS application for a degree in mechanical engineering and, with any luck, I will be on a degree program next year.”
Charlotte, Havant College
“I was interested to see what it would be like to work in a real research environment, and find out what scientists do on a day-to-day basis; the Nuffield Placement scheme definitely fulfils this!”
Share this page
"Really enjoyable and the people are lovely. The practical work is really interesting and I've been picking up some more advanced theory on the way."
"Its impact is huge for some of our students. It provides a great opportunity to inspire and consolidate aspirations. It helps them tremendously with their personal statement. One of them even got made a co-author of a published research paper."
The Regis School